Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Woo hoo! My placenta is kick-ass! It did exactly as it should--traveled the correct road and hitch-hiked north, just like we wanted. :-)

I just came back from my doctor's appointment and ultrasound a little while ago and I'm excited to say things are going great! In addition to checking on the placenta's location, they measured the amount of fluid. I'm in the 50%, just a tiny bit on the higher side of average, but still good.

I'm packing on weight like a champ. I gained--eek--4 more pounds. But whatever, I'm still damn proud of my gain so far. I didn't want to go overboard, that was my goal, and so far I'm keeping to it!

And our baby boy is growing like crazy! Hunter is now.....DRUMROLL PLEASE...3.3 lbs!! The doctor said that is great. The ultrasound tech said, "I think you're going to have a big boy!" Big and healthy works for me!

Also, Hunter is also now breech, no biggie considering he has plenty of time to get into the correct position. But man does it explain some things! I started thinking to myself earlier this week (possibly late last week) that my belly felt different...on the right side it had gotten harder and stuck out more. I kept telling everyone, "Look! My belly is lopsided now!". Well, turns out that's where the little stinker's head is poking out!

I love having Daryl along to some of my appointments...he is always full of questions for the doctor, taking such an active role as Daddy. It makes me smile to hear him asking the doctor questions and to know how excited and interested he is in Hunter's growth and the changes going on in my body.

My next appointment is in two weeks and then once I hit 35 weeks, I'll be going weekly. Yikes! My, how time seems to be zipping by us now. It's almost scary! Oh, I do have an ultrasound shot of Hunter's profile, however, I haven't been able to scan it yet so I'll be sure to post it when I can! We also got to see him yawn big and wide during the ultrasound, and watch his little tongue move, and man, how that enthralled Big D and I both! His chest/belly looked like it was pumping in and out and the tech said, "Great! He's practicing breathing!" It's so amazing to me to know how far this little man has/and still is advancing inside of me.


I meant to post this on Sunday when I hit 28 weeks, but got side-tracked. So here it is at 28 and a half weeks, better late than never:

28 Weeks: Our boy Hunter
Your Baby This Coming Week

Your baby now weighs about 2.7 lbs (1.2kg), measures about 10.4 inches (26cm) from crown to rump, and is around 16.7 inches (42cm) long. He is plumper and rounder, and his head and body are beginning to be in proportion.

Your baby now uses all of his senses. He can see, taste, recognize touch and the sound of your voice.

During the last trimester, your baby will receive antibodies from you through your placenta that will provide immunity from many diseases.

Your baby's adrenal glands are producing androgen-like substances. Androgens are normally male sex hormones, but in late pregnancy, when they reach the placenta they are turned into estrogen which in turn stimulates the production of prolactin in your body. Prolactin is the hormone needed for milk production. In this exchange, your baby is beginning to stimulate milk production in your breasts so that when he is born there will be food waiting for him.


6 comments:

Emily Jean said...

Oh yeah Placenta!! That's such great news!

Stephanie said...

Yeah for your placenta! lol
I'm so glad everything is going so well!!!
He will be here in no time...this is when the time starts to fly!

Flea said...

I'm so excited for you both. And for your placenta!

Melissa said...

Good news on your placenta. I can't wait to see what Hunter look like on the outside...I'm counting the days with you!

Julie said...

Excellent News!!

Jaina said...

YAY!!! That is SUCH great news! :)