Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Okay, it's list time.

I am a compulsive list-maker when it comes to most things: grocery shopping, vacation packing, house organization projects, things-to-do, etc.

I don't know why, but it helps me to maintain a little bit of sanity. My brain is such mush usually that I feel like I will end up forgetting everything, without it all written down.

And now as we get closer and closer to the 33 week mark of this pregnancy, it dawns on me that I only have (providing our big boy doesn't come early!) about seven weeks left, give or take.

SEVEN WEEKS.

How can that simultaneously seem like SO much time and NOT ENOUGH time?

Still left to do:
1. Order dresser and combo changing table for Hunter's nursery. It takes approximately 2 weeks to come in, so even though I "have time", I'm still sweating it. I have piles and piles of absolutely adorable (already washed and neatly folded) hand-me-down clothes with absolutely nowhere to put them. They are piled up in laundry baskets on the floor, making me crazy.

2. Purchase a tall bookshelf for Hunter's nursery. I'm thinking I'd like to check out Ikea, Target and Walmart. I don't want/can't spend an arm and a leg on it, but I also don't want it to look like crap either. So I'm not going to settle. If I don't see anything I like, I'll try to hold off. It's not like Hunter will care that his cute little stuffed animals, books and framed photos are not set up when he's born. Only Mom will care. Ha!

3. Empty all the CRAP (i.e. my old clothes that used to live in the closet in our "spare room", winter coats, winter shoes that I'm currently not wearing, etc) out of Hunter's room BEFORE our baby shower which is coming up quickly...June 27th!!

4. Find a cute, yet inexpensive, outfit to wear to above baby shower! It's going to be an outdoor BBQ for our family and friends (men and children invited too) so I'm thinking of a cute sundress. But if I look like a giant, walking tented-whale in a sun dress, maybe I'll do my black Capri's and then I'd just have to find a cute shirt. And my prerequisite flip-flops, of course.

5. Purchase at least one nursing bra for now...I'm currently growing (okay, I won't lie, pretty much HAVE GROWN) out of my current 40E size (and have been still squishing into them) and I'm desperate to get a new bra. And with how heavy these babies are, I won't wear anything less than a nursing bra for support (I've been wearing one for the past 3-ish months now. The lady at Motherhood Maternity, at that time, originally tried to talk me into buying a "cheap" bra from Target until I was closer to my due date but my biggest complaint with cheap bras, is that I need MAJOR support in holding up my chest. And honestly? I only spent like $20, max, on this bra! I thought that was a great price!)

6. Okay, this is more Big D's job than mine, but I need to add it to the list, cuz it makes me anxious. We need to purchase (and him put up) a closet door still in Hunter's nursery. Once that is done, he can finish putting up the last wall's trim and chair rail. And the crown moulding needs to go up, but we have to get D's Uncle Rob over to help with that. He makes it so much easier to do! Oh and Big D still needs to put the sealer over the stain he painted on the bench for the nursery.

7. Put up and hang the new curtain rods and curtains for Hunter's room. Oh! And we still gotta get blinds for the baby's room!

8. Clean out the hallway linen closet. I know this technically has nothing whatsoever to do with the new baby's arrival, however, it's driving me absolutely bonkers. The closet is skinny and tiny and can barely fit all the towels, sheets, blankets, curtains and misc. bathroom supplies in it right now, so every time I open the door, something falls on me. This will not fly for me once baby is here so now is my time to clean it up and reorganize the contents!

9. Steam-clean the living room and hallway carpets.

10. Completely scrub down the kitchen, including the inside of the fridge.

11. Pack bag for the hospital. I was going to wait till like 37-38 weeks to do this, however, you just never know what life may throw your way, so I think I'll probably end up starting to pack it closer to 35-36 weeks.

12. Cry and freak out becuz I STILL have no idea what to do about our little dog, Daisy. We haven't been able to find her a home and I just can't bare to put her to sleep (some of Daisy's story can be read about here and also here). But the closer we get to baby Hunter's arrival, the more worried I get about having little Daisy in the house. I will never be able to trust her. And don't get me wrong, I know a dog is a dog, but seriously? I could leave Tucker (our lab-teddy bear), the baby and a steak in the middle of the living room floor with no worries (NOT that I would! LOL) becuz he has such a gentle and non-aggressive personality and nature and yet here is Daisy, the (often times) mean, aggressive, biting 20-pounder who I can't even trust with my CAT(S) never mind my child. It's so tough and it will be a hard and emotional decision, but I have to do what's right for my family.

And as if this isn't bad enough, we have to find a new home for one of our cats now too. I've had Bailey a long time...maybe like 9 or 10 years? And in all of this time, she has had an issue with randomly pissing and shitting on living room furniture and on our bed (we can no longer allow the cats in the bedroom when we're not in there IN bed), on piles of clothes (or even in filled or empty laundry baskets). And the most annoying part is that it doesn't happen ALL the time, otherwise I probably would have tried to find her a home a long time ago. It happens with a vengeance a couple times a year (as in, she'll start up and for a brief period, she keeps doing it). I've tried everything: numerous vet visits through the year--during all of which she was given a clean bill of health, changing kitty litter brands in case she didn't like one, changing the litter on a more regular basis (becuz she doesn't like a dirty litter box), and adding an additional litter box to the house thinking maybe there wasn't enough for all three kitties. People have asked if there was "change" that maybe brought this on but honestly it always seems to have no rhyme or reason when it starts. Bailey has ruined, in the past, a queen sized mattress, a beautiful couch, she's peed on our rug that is less than a year old (but thankfully we were able to salvage that with crazy cleaning and then steam-cleaning...just hoping it hasn't sopped through to the hardwood underneath). Well, our current couch was given to us by Daryl's mom last Christmas when she bought a new one....we were SO excited cuz our old couch still smelled of pee in certain spots and it was especially worse in hot and humid weather, so we were eager to get rid of it. I LOVE our couch cuz on each end, it reclines so both Big D and I can stretch out and not be on top of each other if we weren't in a cuddling mood.

WELL...within the past week, Bailey has shit on the couch 3 times and pissed on it once. I am livid. We can NOT get the urine smell out no matter how many cleansers we have used. Daryl even tried vinegar. I stuffed fabric softeners sheets into the creases hoping it would suck up some of the pee smell but NO. I refuse to lay on the couch. I have a pretty keen sniffer as it is, but add in pregnancy? I can smell cat urine a mile away. And as a pregnant woman who is nesting and striving to get this place as clean as possible before the baby arrives, I've sat down and CRIED that we will now have to get rid of this couch and we DO NOT have the money to buy a new one. Daryl and I have argued about Bailey in the past, when she's done this. He's wanted to bring her to the Humane Society but I fought him tooth and nail. Well, now? Something has changed. I just can't deal with it anymore...I start to well up at the thought of no longer having her here, but at the same time, I can't live in a house that smells like cat urine anymore! And constantly have to worry about "Oh shoot, I left a laundry basket full of clothes in the living room, will Bailey piss in it today?" *SIGH*...I am so torn...

13. Pick up bassinet from B's house and put it in our bedroom.

14. Put away/find a home for (after the shower) the shower gifts we will receive June 27th.

15. Buy a night light for the nursery and I still also want to buy a rug to put in the middle of the hardwood floor.

16. Try to remember the rest of the things I wanted to do/have done before baby is born, but have currently flown out of my crazed brain. When I start to focus on it too much, I feel completely overwhelmed!!

19 comments:

Trannyhead said...

A thought on the book shelf: don't buy one that's open in the front unless you want it to be used as a ladder in about 14 months. I highly recommend something up off the ground that mounts on the wall or something with cabinets that can be closed. Otherwise, you'll have perpetual mess on the floor from shredded/destroyed books and a kid who climbs the book shelf.

Sarah said...

I wore a pink dress to my baby shower. It was the first time in my life I had ever willingly worn pink. Since that day, its been my favorite color.

I looked like a giant marshmallow peep. But I couldnt have cared less!

Bounty said...

Wow, sounds like you are one organized lady! lol, I wish I had been a bit more like this when I was pregnant (i just had my first baby, boy called Marlow, in feb!) Exciting times for you hun :-) Have you thought about names for the little fellow? I found http://www.bounty.com/babynames/ really helpful when we were thinking of names. Hope its a help and sending very best wishes for the rest of the pregnancy xxxx

Stephanie said...

Hell, I'm overwhelmed just reading all of that!
I got my bookshelf at Target and I really like it!
7 weeks...holy cow! That is so fun!

Birdee said...

What a great list. I need to make one. Including one for work to get ready for maternity leave.

I'm sorry about your fur-babies.
When I was KU with DS, I had a cat who was mental (sorry to say but she was beaten by my ex to the point she would attack everyone but me). I was so torn because I couldn’t find a home for her and didn’t trust her with my soon to be baby. When I had him, for some reason, God gave me the strength to put her down. It sucked bad, but (just being honest) was so much easier after his arrival then before. But she really was a demon cat. She scared everyone and everyone hated her. There was no option.
I really hope you can find a home for your puppy.
And your cat, I'd be so annoyed too. But you do love your animals. I hope you find a home for kitty also. It's so hard when there a pain to find a home.

Sarah R said...

Holy shit woman, that's a lot of shit to do!!! Time will fly, and it won't be long before you have Hunter in your arms. :)

Jaina said...

Well you certainly won't be slacking off. ;) You sound awfully busy, but you have plenty of time to do it. I know writing it all down helps. Just make sure you have it on paper where you can make that satisfying cross out when each thing is done. You'll get it done, I have confidence in you April :)

RCRambling said...

We bought the less-expensive bookshelves, but since white is the color of our trim, and white bookshelves all look alike (no trying to match wood), we could get away with it without it looking to cheap.

He's now a 2.5-year-old, and due to furniture layout, he hasn't really tried to climb the shelves. However, we did anchor them to the walls, just in case.

That being said, Ikea has some great storage solutions - we use a giant hanging net to hold his socks (he can reach the bottom pocket to put them away for me after I wash and fold them), spit-up clothes (which we are moving out of there, since we only use them when he is sick, now), stuffed animals, and other assorted items. It is fun and different looking - we got our curtains and crib from ikea, too, actually.

As for your animals, I'm sorry about Daisy. It is a tough call, but one that yes, you'll have to make if you can't trust her.

As for Bailey, even though I'm not an advocate of having an outdoor animal, do you know anyone with a farm? Does she have the personality/background to maybe move out to a farm? Then she can leave messes wherever she would like, receive loving from people who would appreciate her work (rodent control) and have a nice warm place to sleep/eat at night (if the owners are anything like my grandparents were, she would be a spoiled rotten farm cat). Making her an outdoor cat may offer one other option, since with her issues you may not have folks lining up to take her.

Kel said...

I hate to say this, but from here on out - it will seem like there is enough time, but it will fly by in the blink of an eye.
~K

April said...

Birdee-I hear ya. I'm thinking we really have no other option for Daisy other than putting her to sleep. By her going to live with someone else, I'll always be fearful of her biting (she's bitten us both) and hurting someone who does NOT know her personality and thinks she is "harmless" cuz of how small and cute she is. :-( We even had a dog behavoiralist (Sp?) who spent many hours working with us on training her, tell us that it may be the most humane thing to do for a dog who is obviously not happy.

RC-Thanks for the idea for Bailey but unfortunately it won't work for her. Not only is she strictly an indoor kitty cat (she's never been outside a day in her life and I don't know if this pampered kitty would even know what to DO!) but she is also declawed so she'd have no way to defend herself or hunt. :-(

And of course Bailey is a one-woman kitty. She loves me and ONLY me, so in addition to her bathroom issues I have NO IDEA how she'll be in someone else's home. I think I'm going to have a really hard time finding her a new home. :-(

Peeveme said...

OMG I'm tired after reading that! I really do remember all that nesting energy when I was pregnant with my first. This time around I am having a difficult time getting things done. Even the minimal let alone steam cleaning stuff. We'll be lucky to have some newborn diapers handy.

Cna I ask a favor? If you make a list for you4 #11 (hospital bag packing) could you post it? I'm sure you'll do a way better job then I could so if it's ok with you I'd like to slack off and just rely on you to do the thinking.

thanks.

And we are so close...and so far away!

April in CT said...

Even my lists have lists..I'm addicted. And isn't there something so satisfying about marking something off as completed!

Don't forget Craig's List for a bookcase. I've found some exceptional deals on there with a little patience when I was looking for something specific. Several of them being Ikea items at half the list price and in brand new condition.

Kat said...

Haha! You are SOOOO nesting right now. But don't worry. That doesn't mean baby will come soon. I think I always nest for months. It is slightly annoying. ;)

I just use colorful plastic bins for the boys' books. That way I don't have to worry about the boys crawling on them. And they were super cheap and it is easy for the boys to put their books away.

I was actually just going to email you and ask you if you needed anymore boy clothes. In the next day or so I am going through all of my boys' baby clothes and seeing if there is anything a baby girl could use (probably not) and donating all the rest. But there are SO MANY ADORABLE outfits that have barely been used. I am sad to see them go. I would feel better if someone I "know" would put them to use. Let me know if you are still looking for clothes. :)

Try and relax and enjoy the last couple months you have now. I know how hard that can be because I am a planner and compulsive nester too, but really, everything will be wonderful. Baby will come home and be happy regardless of the missing closet doors or lack of rug on the floor. ;) That is what I try to tell myself anyway. ;)

April said...

Peeveme-I would be GLAD to post my list. I've already started working on it actually, after getting some input from BTDT Mom's both in person and off the FF website I belong to...and also the teacher of our birthing class had some great ideas. As soon as I tweak it up, I'll share it! :-)

Kat-I would love any clothes! I have gotten so many but I know a lot I won't get to use due to the season differences and also the fact that I think this kid is going to be big, LOL, but I am not buying any clothes in the beginning becuz of the hand-me-downs so that's a perk for me! And honestly? I love the idea of knowing that the clothes were worn before by another sweet little baby...it makes it more special! Email me and we'll chat specifics April1212r@aol.com :-) Thank you!

~**Dawn**~ said...

You know what's great about lists? You have it all right there as a reference & then you get to cross stuff off as you complete it so you get a little visual victory seeing how much you've accomplished! I love lists!

Steph said...

Ok I have one more thing to add to your list! Send me your address I have lost it and I have a couple cute things for Hunter! swhln72 at gmail dot com

Emily Jean said...

Holy cow! I was totally the same way when I had like 6 weeks to go!! And I still make lists! Feels so good to cross stuff off!

Lovely Lalo-Cha said...

WOW, what a large list. I am sure you will look great in a sundress silly woman. Bras-ouch and I hope you find a home for your pooch. Everything else will wall into place. It is getting so close.

Krystyn said...

Holy moly...that's a long list. But, once you sit down and decide how to tackle it, it will happen in no time.

Good luck with the pet situations. That's tough.