Monday, July 27, 2009

Daryl is still in the hospital.

I barely got a full four hour's sleep the night before so after he called me this morning around 6:30-7am, I got up and got some cereal cuz I was starving (hadn't eaten dinner the night ,before). But then I decided to lay back down in bed again and immediately passed out till approximately 9:15am.

After getting back up I grabbed some things I needed to bring to Daryl (his flip flops, clean shorts, teeshirt and undies, tooth brush and toothpaste and deodorant), threw on some clothes and ran back out to the hospital.

Big D didn't really look much better to me. He's still in pain (and getting pain meds approx. every 3 hours), still getting iv fluids and then I found out he'd been getting insulin shots since the night before as well. The Doctor didn't come see him today till like 2pm which frustrated me...but then I really liked this Doctor the best out of all he'd seen so far. He flat out said that Daryl was staying overnight again cuz his blood sugar level was still high (Sunday night it was 380...today earlier in the day it was about 240...and this evening it was 270) and he was in so much pain that the meds they administered through iv are obviously stronger than anything he could prescribe for him at home...and those pain meds were what was keeping him sane. Anyway I helped poor Big D sponge bath himself cuz he was weak and definitely not feeling up to hopping into he shower. He was so doped up when the meds would first go in, and he'd just stare dreamily at me and tell me what a great wife I was and how much he loved me. It was actually very sweet.

Anyway, I went home mid-day to eat (I don't like eating in front of Big D cuz all he can have still is ice chips...and now water...and he was really hoping to be able to eat REAL food at least for dinner). I also had to let Tucker outside to pee and feed him an early dinner. I showered and then headed back to the hospital again. I've been making phone calls on and off all day on those "breaks" becuz the cell service is almost nonexistent in the hospital. Many calls between my Mom, D's Mom, my work, his work...I'm honestly so very sick of talking. 'Also while home, and feeling exhausted, I did take a quick break to lay on teh couch but I was feeling anxious about just "laying there" and overwhelmed about everything, worrying about upset I felt and praying and begging Hunter to stay put for now cuz the last thing his Daddy would want is to miss his birth! Everyone has been cracking jokes about us being in the same hospital but that wouldnt' happen if I go into labor, becuz I'm going to be laboring in a completely different hospital. So, just praying for baby to stay nice and cozy in his Mama for now!

Back at the hospital I was rubbing Daryl's back and kissed head and could not BELIEVE how hot he was...his skin was on fire. I remembered him saying he'd had a fever earlier that morning so I wondered aloud if he still had one. The nurse came in to take his vitals and it was a different nurse as they'd just done the shift change. Thank GOD becuz this shift of nurses was SO much more efficient! Once they took his vitals and realized he had a fever of 101.2, low blood pressure and slightly low oxygen levels they immediately got him Tylenol, some oxygen and called in for a blood panel to be done. AND a n x-ray of his lungs. All of this within the first 1-2 hours of their shift and yet the other nurses had not bothered to do it ALL DAY. I was irritated about that.

About an hour or two before I left hospital, Daryl broke out in a monstrous sweat....it was just rolling off him in buckets and he was suddenly nauseous again and puked. The nurse was pleased and said the Tylenol was doing it's work to get rid of his fever. I hope she is right! I left him around 9:15pm so that he could get some sleep. And so that I could get some sleep as well. Trying to not overdo it (although it's too late for that now!) but it's so hard trying ot get everything done.

My friend Crystal just popped over a while ago to get a spare key to the house cuz she is going to have her husband come and pick up poor Tucker during the day and bring him over their house for a few hours of attention. I appreciate that SO MUCH.

So that is where we are right now. Please pray that Big D is feeling better tomorow! I miss having him at home with me. :-(

19 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh honey, I am so sorry Big D is doing so crappy. I hope he is feeling better really soon, for all of your sakes.

Hugs!

hillsmithfamily said...

So hoping he is up and around soon!

Aimée said...

My prayers and thoughts are with the both of you right now. Having been on both ends (once the pregnant lady, once the one in a hospital bed) I know how hard this is on both of you. Please know that we are (again) praying for you and Big D and your baby. If I was in driving distance, I would so be there to help. Know that you are very loved -- even if we met through blogs! :)

Rachel said...

I've been thinking of you. I hope he has a speedy recover. Please keep us updated.

Kel said...

I hope Big D feels better soon!
~K

Sarah R said...

I hope he feels better soon! I feel so bad for him... *hugs to you*

Stephanie said...

Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way.
I'm so sorry that he still isnt feeling good.
You are taking great care of him (and yourself) Keep it up girl, but dont over do it!
I hate that they are having to give him insulin :( Praying for good blood sugar levels soon!!!

Poltzie said...

Oh I wish there was something I could do to help! I'm SO sorry for you April, I can't imagine how stressed you must be right now, especially being this close to the end of your pregnancy!

Do they know what is actually wrong wtih Big D right now or how long it will take him to get better?

Thinking of you LOTS!!!

Dizzy Vizzy said...

Holy crap!! Praying that he gets better soon!!

Cathy said...

I hope they can figure out what's making him sick, and most importantly get him home for you!

Birdee said...

Your both in my prayers. ((hugs))

Morgan said...

I am definately praying for Big D, and you! This must be hard to be going through being pregnant and all! Hope things get back to normal soon, thinking and praying for you both!

Flea said...

Sounds like his fever broke, though I'm sure the puking is still concerning. Praying for y'all, honey.. Glad you have good friends and family who are there for you.

Steph said...

Just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you. Stay calm all will be fine!

K13 said...

Oh my goodness...I cannot believe all that is going on right now for you. That HAS to be a lot to handle in your VERY pregnant state. I wish I was closer, I would help you out. I sure hope Daryl starts feeling better and very soon!!!

ALF said...

I hope Big D is feeling better so soon! Take care of yourself.

Robyn said...

I really really hope D is feeling better tomorrow.

bekah said...

praying he gets better soon!

Kat said...

Oh man. What an ordeal!
Still praying!