Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Hunter's Birth Story



It was an utterly fantastic experience, my labor and Hunter's delivery, so much better than I thought it would be. As soon as he was out one of the first things I said to Daryl after laying eyes on my little love muffin, was, "I will TOTALLY do this again!"

We went to the hospital Tuesday (August 4th) morning at 8:00am for induction.

At that point I was 1 cm dilated, 80% effaced, and baby boy was READY and down low. The pitocin was started at nine.

I went up to 2 cm pretty quickly and then at 1:00ish my doctor broke my water. At the next check, I had gone up to 4cm, and at this point I was still pretty convinced we'd be in it for the LONG haul. I was determined to hold out as long as I could on getting any pain relief (even though I DID know that I wanted an epi), becuz I didn't want to prolong things more than necessary. But I was also anxious to not miss my window of opportunity TO get one.

And then once back labor set in, it wasn't a question anymore. I was sitting in a rocking chair (after realizing how horrible back labor felt in bed but being unable to get up and walk around through the now intensely painful contractions) and every time a contraction hit, I'd immediately get nauseous and squeeze the arm rails of the chair and start rocking and breathing (and swearing like a truck driver! LOL) . I even puked up the popsicles I'd eaten about a half hour earlier.

This went on for a little while before I finally begged Daryl to get the nurse cuz I needed relief. And during it all, Daryl was THE BEST labor coach ever...even better than I thought he'd be. He was calm and soothing, encouraging me to breathe (I kept holding my breath without realizing it when a particularly painful contraction would hit) and letting me squeeze the shit out of his hand. He applied pressure to my low back and that also helped so much.
I think by the time the epi was administered and it took affect, it was about 5:20ish pm. I enjoyed a good ten minutes or so of no pain, but I was so happy to realize I could still feel every contraction! I was so glad that the anesthesiologist gave me the perfect amount, not too much or too little, cuz I had told DH all along I wanted to be able to FEEL myself pushing etc. I could still feel my legs, they weren't completely numb.

Anyway next thing I know, I mentioned to my Mom (who was there) and Daryl that I felt kinda a "weird, intense pressure down below" and "should I tell the nurse?". Nurse came in and checked me, cuz Doctor wasn't back yet, and to my surprise (and hers!) she said "Wow, you are 10cm dilated and ready to push!" HOLY CRAP! Even though I was beyond exhausted by that point, I was pleasantly surprised to realize we'd be meeting our baby boy sooner than thought.

Just HOW soon, I didn't realize...on the first push, I heard Daryl cry out, "April, he's got hair!" Believe it or not, this has been a hot topic with us for a while, wondering if this baby would come out bald (like I had been) or with hair (like Daryl as a baby). Every push I was encouraged by the nurses about how great I was doing, and they called me a "show-off". The doctor still hadn't arrived yet and the nurse asked me to hold off on pushing for a minute if I could. I told her, "No way" and she said to just bare down gently becuz the doctor was coming. Later on, I found out the nurse was slightly nervous about Hunter having shoulder displasia (sp?). This was one of the main reasons we'd talked induction and about Hunter's large size, but thankfully my Doctor never dwelled on it when talking to me or I would have been very nervous about that during labor.

So my Doctor arrived, teasing me about how I couldn't wait for her, huh? I pushed, she told me I had "one more push" which actually turned out to be two, and after only thirty minutes of pushing, out he came!

Without a doubt, the best moment of my life was laying eyes on his beet-red, screaming and pinched up face. And hearing my Mom say, "Aww, he has Daryl's nose!". Up until that moment (and even during pushing) I'd been smiling but then at that, I burst into tears.

I am in love more and more every day with this sweet little baby. I can't keep my hands, and kisses, off of him!!
And we are not the only ones in love! Here are Daryl's cousins who couldn't get enough of him at the hospital.

21 comments:

Sarah R said...

Aw, great birth story. He is so adorable!! Sounds like an awesome labor, especially for a first-timer.

Kat said...

Oh what a wonderful labor story! I am so glad to hear that you had such a wonderful experience. That if fabulous!!!!
:)

Keri said...

That sounds so PERFECT ! makes me want another little one right now.

Krystyn said...

Wow! You made that sound way too easy!!!!

Lovely Lalo-Cha said...

Girl, I got the chills! Welcome little Hunter! Congrats again. Glad labor went well and you are all doing good.

Birdee said...

What a beautiful birthing story April, you have me in tears.
I'm so happy for you and Big D.

Fishsticks and Fireflies said...

What a great birth story! Your delivery sounds very similar to mine with Cooper - pregnancy with him sucked, but labor and delivery made it worth it . . . and made me do it 3 more times! Beautiful!

Stephanie said...

My doctor hadn't been there either and they told me not to push and I remember looking at them like "are you nuts?!" because it's not voluntary at that point! Haha!

I'm glad it was such an easy labor for you - you sound like you're ready for #2 already ;)

Flea said...

Oh he's just a DOLL. Almost makes me want to do it again. :) I'm so happy for you all!!!

Kel said...

Sounds like you had a good birthing experience...if only they could all go that smoothly! :) Congrats again on your new blessing!! :)
~K

Jaina said...

Aww, congrats April!! What a beautiful story!

nancy said...

FABULOUS birth story for you. Just wonderful.

PixieDust said...

I am so glad everything worked out well! Congratulations! He is adorable... :)

bekah said...

Beautiful birth story my dear! He is so precious!

Rachel said...

What an awesome story! I think you just somehow made me (of all people) want to have a baby!

BeeOhVee said...

OMG! Awesome story and good lord is he ever cute! Congratulations to the three of you!

Thank you for putting the story up. After reading it, I so can't wait to have a baby.

Poltzie said...

What a great birth story! So happy for you two!!

ALF said...

Congratulations again! What a great story. Glad it all went so well for you.

Sarah said...

I am just so happy for you guys! Hunter is a beautiful little boy.

Hugs to you all!

Stephanie said...

What a great birth story!! I'm so glad everything went so smoothly! You guys both deserved it after all the stress you had been throught recently!
(I dont know how I never saw this post..I just came to see the squirrel story and saw it!!)
Let us see more pics of that sweet boy!!

Melek said...

how wonderful!!!! congratulations! i was looking at all my blog bookmarks today and thought "GASP!! i wonder if she's had her baby yet!" he's just beautiful.