Tuesday, September 08, 2009


Hunter is one month old!

This letter should have been posted on Friday, September 4th, but I was too busy packing for 2 adults, 1 baby and 1 dog for a weekend trip to upper state NY to visit Daryl's mom and stepdad...we were on the road by late afternoon. But this letter is better late than never!


Dear Hunter:

You are now one month old, buddy! And my, how you have already changed. You went from a little skinny bundle of newborn baby to the chubby cheeked and double-chin sweet face that you are today!

I love to stare at you...I swear I could do it all day and never get tired. Your eye lashes are longer and let me tell you, some women would die for those eyelashes. Your lips are often pursed and quite kissable as you make that same face you often made while still in the womb. I have an ultrasound picture of you making the same pursed-lip face! Your legs have the sweetest little baby fat rolls and your forearms rival those of a baby Pop-Eye. It won't be long before you can arm-wrestle your Daddy! :-)

And you have come so far in such a short time span! You hold your head up like a champ, and you roll over already. You did sleep through the night once, and I hold out hope it will happen again soon, but still you are doing great right now with only waking up once during the night usually after 5.5-6.5 hours of sleep. Mommy loves the fact that I can get some sleep again!

You make the cutest noises now when you "talk". Cooing and Mommy's favorite drawn-out and forceful "Gaaaaa!" when you are mad about a dirty diaper or an empty tummy. You smile often and while I'm pretty sure it's mostly due to gas, sometimes I think you are imitating what you see your Mommy and Daddy beaming down at you. I caught this one smile on film today that absolutely melts my heart, and while I'd like to think it wasn't due to gas (cuz I was smiling and talking silly to you at the same moment) you DID let out a big 'ol burp right afterwards.



Your favorite past time right now is to stare in awe at the ceiling and walls. Sometimes you have cooing conversations with the wall for minutes on end and it makes me laugh. You also are infatuated with looking at lights. If there is bright light coming from a lamp or an open window, you are all about being nosey and trying to check it out.

When you are mad, your forehead and nose wrinkle up just like Daddy's. I love to see how much you look like him even though I often joke to Daddy, "Geez, I carried this baby for nine months and all I see of myself is his chin, long fingers and big feet!" :-) But one thing that amazes me, Hunter? Sometimes, in a picture or in a certain facial expression you make, I see your Pop-Pop's face. Your Pop-Pop's smiling brown eyes shining at me. I know he would be so proud and excited by you, his first grandchild.


Your favorite way to fall asleep is belly to belly against your Mommy or Daddy. I think you love it the most with Daddy though...I often times snap pictures of the two of you snoozing on the couch. I'll never get tired of it!


You are eating great and I can't wait to see what your weight has gone up to. Between Mommy's milk and the occasional bottle of formula, you love to eat! When you are especially hungry, you have been eating about 4 and a half ounces. Keep on growing, little man!

I can't believe a full month has gone by. A month that I've been privileged to be your Mother, Hunter. To love you and care for you and be amazed by you every day. Some days I find myself staring at you in surprise...did this perfect little being really come out of me? Did Daryl and I really and truly create this miracle? And when I realize, that YES, we did, I am so in awe that tears well up in my eyes and I realize just how proud I am to be your Mommy.


Mommy and Daddy love you to infinity and beyond little man! You are our world.

Love Always,

Your Mommy

12 comments:

Poltzie said...

Aww, Hunter is So cute!! He sure looks like Daryl in that first picture hey!
And you are looking fantastic! Motherhood looks good on your April!!

Keri said...

perfect... that's how u guys look!
LOVE IT!
and that feeling of love that just envelopes you.

Heidi Renée said...

Your family is SO cute.

Morgan said...

He is sooo precious April! I can't believe how much he has changed already! It doesn't stop here..they change ~SO~ much from week to week and month to month! I laughed when you said he stares as the walls and ceilings..Mason did the same thing! Except he was FASCINATED with ceiling fans..I swear he would watch one for hours if you let him...and if you tried to turn him around to look at you he would just twist his neck so he could still see the fan! haha!

Amy said...

He is so Daryl! I think it's easier to see the parents in kids when they're not your own, you don't see them every day. My girls just look like themselves to me.

Jaina said...

Hunter is SO adorable. Congrats April, I'm SO happy for you guys. :)

Robyn said...

Aw, that's a great letter.

kittyconcerto said...

this is fantastic April. And Hunter is really growing! So glad he is able to to go 5-6 hours. It makes all the difference in the world. And those smiles? They are for real now. Aren't they just the best????

Emily Jean said...

He is getting so chubby! LOVE IT!! You Guys all look like you are doing great! Happy 1 Month little man!

Sarah R said...

Happy one month, Hunter! :)

Great pics; thanks for sharing.

Rachel said...

Your new family is beautiful. Enjoy this special time together!

Kat said...

That first picture absolutely makes me melt! What a gorgeous boy! :)