Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I love Fall!

I had a great weekend with my family, enjoying the first weekend that actually felt like Autumn had arrived! The leaves are all starting to change colors, the air is crisp and the sun is shining.


Thursday I made a trip to the orchard with Sarah and her girls. I strapped a snoozing Hunter into the Baby Bjorn and grabbed a bag, ready to pick. Of course due to the crappy weather this year, crops have suffered. Most of the apples had holes or were dimpled and bruised from a hail storm we had this summer. So it took us a little bit longer to pick and find a decent bagful of apples, but we were determined!

And then like a jackass, I accidentally dropped an apple on my child's head. Heh. The poor thing startled so hard and gave out a huge cry before immediately going back to sleep. I felt like THE worst mother!

Friday, Daryl called me around 10:100am to ask what I thought if he came home from work early, so that we could go to the Big E. For those of you not from New England, the Big E is this HUGE fair (I use the term fair loosely!) located in West Springfield, Mass. Six eastern states take part in the fair: Massachusetts, Connecticut (my state!), Maine, Rhode Island, Vermont and New Hampshire. While I LOVE the Big E, it is an all day thing, between driving there, finding parking, and all the insane walking that is involved.

So by the time Daryl got home around one, then I had to feed the baby again and get some other stuff ready, we decided instead to go to the Durham Fair, which is local. Hunter's first visit to the fair was fun! He slept through Mommy and Daddy chowing down on yummy food but then he woke up by the time we reached the animals. I think his favorite, no doubt, were the cows. Hunter's eyes were as large as half dollars every time he heard a bellowing "Moooo!" echo through the building! I did take a couple pics/video but we haven't uploaded it to the computer yet. Anyway, the most memorable part of the day was feeding a screaming, hungry baby in the parking lot and then realizing he had an insane blow-out diaper that required the bed of the truck, a naked baby and LOTS of baby wipes. Lord, kid.

Saturday was another day of firsts for Hunter! Our original plan was to take Hunter to Lyman Orchards to pick some pumpkins and get some cute pictures.

Well, due to the pumpkin shortage (damn crappy weather again!) there were NO pumpkins! After that disappointment we headed to our friend Joe and Erin's for a fun day. They recently had bought a pontoon boat and wanted to show it off so we went on the lake for Hunter's first boat ride. It was chilly with the breeze blowing on the water so I bundled him good in his car seat and when he woke up, I put him in the Baby Bjorn again and wrapped some blankets around his legs. After our boat ride, it was off to a local farm that Erin had found who DID have pumpkins!

After Hunter's first hayride, we hopped down from the tractor to hear the farm employee warning us that the pumpkins were still green (due to the first crop being ruined, they had to replant later in the season). He reassured us that after picking them they WOULD still turn orange. So if we are the only losers in town with green pumpkins on our front porch, now you know why. Ha! Anyway, this was a HARD CORE pumpkin patch! It was on a hill which made it hard enough to maneuver as it is but then you add in the leaves and greenery that came up to our knees,k and dodging piles of deer poop here and there. So needless to say, I did NOT get my cute Hunter-pumpkin patch pictures that I had envisioned since before he was born.

Back at Joe and Erin's we ate our take-our dinner form this deliciously yummy BBQ place nearby. Then we headed home with a sleepy baby.

Sunday we had to get up and out early to go to our friend's son's 1st birthday party. And of course, being the procrastinators that we both are, we were buying his gift on the way to the party. Daryl teased his friend J0hn all month about how he was going to buy Joey the most loudest, most obnoxious toy ever but I begged him to keep it only sightly annoying. Payback is a bitch, I had to remind him of that! The weather was totally crappy, pouring on and off all day, and the party was outdoors BUT they had like six tents set up so we were under the tent at all times which was good. After catered meal, cake and some fun, we headed home around 4pm where we relaxed and watched a movie together before bed.

My two cute boys! If you didn't know they were related, I think those matching noses (at least!) give it away! LOL

16 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

Ohhh... Autumn. I want Autumn. Also? That little hat? I am not sure that I can stand that much cute in one place.

Lovely Lalo-Cha said...

Love the pictures..what a crazy weekend. Seems like you made the best of it all. I hope your pumpkins turn orange.

Sarah R said...

Aw, I love the pictures! He's so cute. Don't feel too bad about the apple bonk--it probably just scared him for a second. :) You'll have plenty of little mishaps! I'm glad you found some (albeit, green) pumpkins! We are going to take Andrew to get a couple pumpkins, probably this week. There is someone just down the road who sells them.

Fishsticks and Fireflies said...

He is such a little doll! I too am ready for fall - bring on the pumpkins!

Poltzie said...

So even a new baby won't slow you down! I'm exhausted just reading about it LOL! Sounds like a great weekend and I LOVE Hunter's skull hat - too cute!!

K13 said...

Oh April - Hunter is such a super duper cutie pie. I love the skull cap - adorable. And I really love that sweater you had on him. Great pictures!! Congrats again on such a cutie pie. Enjoy him!!

Robyn said...

What a smile!! Cut hat, love it. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.

Stephanie said...

Wow..what a busy weekend!! Sounds like alot of fun though!
I love that you are starting traditions with him already! (even if you didnt get the pics you had hoped for!!)
I sure hope your pumpkin turns orange! ;)
Hunter is just ADORABLE! (in case you werent completly aware of that already!!!)

Birdee said...

OMG I LOVE THAT HAT!! Where can I get one for Baby B??? Seriously I have to have one!
I love fall too, I'm so glad to be home wiht Baby B during the change of seasons.
Seeing you with your LO makes me miss mine, guess I better go wake him up and hold him.
(I love his breath on my neck when he's sleeping)

April said...

Oh my gosh, it's so funny how much everyone loves the hat! I love it too. I think it's from Target (it was a gift to Hunter from a friend).

And Birdee! I love that too, baby breath on my neck...I love listening to him breath in my ear. So sweet!!

Thanks for all the compliments on my boy! He appreciates it from you all. :-)

RC - Rambling Along... said...

Another reader who LOVES the hat! Adorable (and adorable boy, too!).

ALF said...

HI April! It's been awhile since I visited and I'm really enjoying reading all your stories and seeing the pictures. It looks like everything is going great!

Jaina said...

Sounds like everything is going splendidly. I LOVE all the adorable pictures :) Hunter is SOOOOOOO cute!

April said...

ALF!!! Are you a private blog now? Can I still read you? I miss your funny stories! And I'm dying to know how your pregnancy is going. If so, my email is April1212r@aol.com....

Laura B. said...

How adorable!!!!! We're hoping to go get our pumpkins next weekend...this weekend will be too packed with a wedding and the city's Greek Festival!! Woot!

Flea said...

Hey - how's Daryl doing? I know there was a lot of hospital drama right before Hunter was born. Everything back to normal?