Thursday, November 05, 2009

I took a big step.

A big, scary step.

HUGE.

*gulp*



I quit my job.




Holy. Crap. This has been a long time in coming...something I've wanted to do for a while. But I could never get up the courage to make the change (I think I've mentioned before about my fear of change, despite the fact that the change always ends up being for the better).

I'm sure a lot of you remember me bitching about my job. You can catch up about some of it here and here or even here. (I have way more examples but I don't need inundate you with my whining, miserable work stress posts.)

My maternity leave has been winding to a close. I was supposed to go back November 23rd. Of course, I was having the "usual" new Mommy feelings about going back to work and leaving my baby. I've cried a boatload of tears over it. But unfortunately my job would not make any exceptions to my schedule. They said that they had no part time work for me. Fine. I sucked it up and told myself Just go back for now, but keep looking for part time work.

A phone call with my supervisor last week changed all that. I still don't feel comfortable going into details but let's just say, I was pissed off after I hung up that phone. I was angered and unhappy and uncomfortable about what I was going to be going back to on November 23rd. I shed some angry tears. Then Big D said the words that set it all in motion.

"Just quit, honey. I can't stand seeing you like this and that place makes you so unhappy. Just quit, and you can start looking for a part time job now."

The affect his words had on me was insane....it was like a crashing wave of relief washed over me. I wiped away the tears, looked down at my snoozing baby boy, and nodded.

It was time.


So here I am! Jobless, and mildly freaked out for a different reason.

But feeling so insanely relieved, calm and content, feelings I haven't had in such a long time.


And I couldn't be happier.

20 comments:

Chele76 said...

good for you

Fishsticks and Fireflies said...

Way to go, Momma! As scary as those big changes are, sometimes the best things come of them - I am sure that will be the case for you! Good luck finding something part time!

Kat said...

Yeah!!! Congratulations!
I hope you find just the right job at just the right time. God has a great way of working things out that way. ;)

Sarah said...

Good for you , girl! You gotta do whats best for you and your family.

The Captain's Wife said...

In the end...it'll be the best decision you ever made. I am very jealous~

Amy said...

Good for you! I'm sure things will work out. And at least, in the interim, if you want to stockpile cash while you look for a permanent position, there's holiday hiring coming up. Although now I'm intrigued to how AWFUL that call was to have pushed you over the edge!

Robyn said...

Happiness can be huge!

BeeOhVee said...

Reading you post, I was thinking the same thing as everyone here; good for you. It took guts to make that decision. I wish you the best of luck fidning a job that is right for you.

Sarah R said...

That is awesome and I am happy for you! I think you made the right decision. Chances are, you would have been miserable had you gone back. Now you can take your time, enjoy the baby time, and get a part-time job when you feel up to it. :)

Stephanie said...

Oh girl..I am sooooooooooooooooo happy for you. I have been reading for so long now and knew how much you hated your job. Way to go Big D for encouraging her to do this!
I know you will find something that hits your schedule better and gives you more time with Hunter!! (an makes you much happier!)
Praying that you find the perfect p/t job SOON!!!

Laura B. said...

It's been said a lot here...but good for you! I will pray that you'll find the perfect p/t job! Enjoy your days with Hunter and only cry tears of happiness that you get to spend more time with him!

~**Dawn**~ said...

Good for you, April. =) This was clearly a long time coming but change can bring so much good that we can't even imagine until it happens. And then we wonder why on earth we waited so long.

photogirl218 said...

That's Great Girl, you will make it work!

Heidi Renée said...

Wow! That must be such a relief. Congratulations!

K13 said...

Wow!! How exciting!! Congratulations...on being so happy. You'll find something & not have to stress out.

I can TOTALLY relate to those tears pre-returning to work...I was there too!!!

Krystyn said...

Congratulations..I'm sure you are much happier!

RC - Rambling Along... said...

Congrats and good luck!

Birdee said...

As you can imagine, I'm so freaking jealous!
My only difference is I love my job. But if I didn't, I'd do exactly the same thing . Good for you April!

Lovely Lalo-Cha said...

Good for you (and Big D). I have only felt that way for a job once before and I quit and I know how good that feels. I am sure you will be fine and very happy with whatever new part time venture comes your way.

Best Wishes!

Jaina said...

Congrats April!!!! I am so thrilled that you were able to make this change. I can just feel your relief. ::hugs::