Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Last night I was watching The Ghost Whisperer on TV, while Big D was on the laptop. He would look up every now and then but wasn't fully paying attention to the show.

It was an episode about a guy who passed away and neither him nor his fiance were allowing the other to move on. He continued to "haunt" her for a year, by flickering lights, brushing his hand against her cheek so she'd feel cold, to let her know he was still with her. Eventually he let her know she could love again and he moved on.

I jokingly asked Daryl, "If God Forbid you died before me, would you haunt me?"

"Yeah," He replied casually and shrugged. "For a while."

"For a while?" I asked mock-indignantly and laughed.

It was quiet for a couple of seconds before he spoke again.

"I would never leave Hunter's side though. I'd hold him in my arms for the rest of his life and he'd never even know it."

After the teasing we'd just been doing, this totally nonchalant, serious, yet heartfelt statement by Big D took my breath away. I immediately felt my eyes tear up and quickly brushed it away with the back of my hand so he wouldn't see, and just smiled in response.

We sat quietly for a couple of seconds before Daryl looked back up at me. Again, totally serious.

"Oh yeah. And don't worry, I'd haunt the f*ck out of you."

Heh. That's my man.

5 comments:

stripeycat said...

crying tears & LAUGHING... you two are tooooo much. BIG love & hugs!

Stephanie said...

So hearfelt and then BAM!! lol
Thats hilarious!!

Heidi Renée said...

Oh husbands. They spit out the sweetest things and then go right back to being dudes. Haha!

Jaina said...

Aww, sweet and sad all at once. Ghost Whisperer is good. I've got a great Ghost Whisperer story to share courtesy of my mom and her friend. Really creepy.

Lovely Lalo-Cha said...

LOVE IT! Classic!