So I took the plunge!
I've been thinking of cloth diapering Hunter since before he was even born. I held off cuz things were so chaotic at the end of my pregnancy and with Daryl getting sick. Then after the baby was here, and a newborn (and pooping all the time!) I was a little overwhelmed by the thought of CD'ing.
Cut to now, when Hunter is about six and a half months. I finally decided, we are ready! It was a combination of still being interested in CD'ing but also becuz I've been noticing that quite often, Hunter has had a redness/rashiness on his belly (and belly button) and upper thighs where the diaper was rubbing against his skin. It almost reminds me of heat rash. (He has very sensitive skin that gets red often even just from holding him.) So I've been wondering if cloth would be better for his already sensitive skin, not as abrasive.
This week I placed my order of gDiapers (I got them from Diapers.com cuz of free shipping and the fact that they arrived TWO days later, woo hoo!) and Bum Genius (which I ordered from CottonBabies and unfortunately will be taking a little longer to arrive, like 5-10 days. I'm so impatient!). I had already researched a ton on Bum Genius--and have two friends who use and love them--so I felt pretty confident. But then I read Birdee's experience (I actually read her experience on her private blog but I linked to her public blog here) with Gdiapers as well, and her Pros list swayed me. I decided to try both! I'm also thinking of trying out some Knickerknappies after hearing about them on Sarah's blog. I kind of like the idea of snaps, as opposed to applix tabs.
Anyway, I'm probably going to do a combination of the biodegradable/throw away liners and the cloth liners. I don't have the time to do a ton of laundry for one thing, and another I'm afraid the cloth liners nonstop might be a little too much for my Mom (who watches Hunter four days a week) and Big D. I want to ease them into CD'ing. So that's my plan!
Today was the first day of CD'ing with gDiapers. I'm curious to see how it goes! I put one on him first thing when he woke up this morning. And then changed him about two hours later. He had peed and it was strictly on the throw away liner. Awesome! Granted, that was not one of his BIG pees so I'm interested to see how the liner handles it. I know we can double up at night, so I might try that tonight to see how it goes.
Anyway, I'll post more as we progress...and of course more pictures. ;-)
Now onto my questions. If any of you out there CD, can you please help me out here?
- First, when you do a diaper change, do you just change the liner and keep him in the same diaper? Or do you change the entire diaper?
- How long can he wear one diaper shell before it should be washed...the whole day? Less? More?
- Do you find that the cloth or throw away liners are more absorbant? I'm wondering which would be best at night. Obviously I'll give them both a try to see how it goes.
- Is it okay to wash the diaper shells in my regular laundry? I use All-Free and Clear for all our laundry. (I do realize you have to wash the cloth liners separately and that there is a certain way to do it.)
- I'm sure I had more questions but my brain is blank right now...