Friday, February 26, 2010

Cloth diapering and some questions...


So I took the plunge!


I've been thinking of cloth diapering Hunter since before he was even born. I held off cuz things were so chaotic at the end of my pregnancy and with Daryl getting sick. Then after the baby was here, and a newborn (and pooping all the time!) I was a little overwhelmed by the thought of CD'ing.

Cut to now, when Hunter is about six and a half months. I finally decided, we are ready! It was a combination of still being interested in CD'ing but also becuz I've been noticing that quite often, Hunter has had a redness/rashiness on his belly (and belly button) and upper thighs where the diaper was rubbing against his skin. It almost reminds me of heat rash. (He has very sensitive skin that gets red often even just from holding him.) So I've been wondering if cloth would be better for his already sensitive skin, not as abrasive.


This week I placed my order of gDiapers (I got them from Diapers.com cuz of free shipping and the fact that they arrived TWO days later, woo hoo!) and Bum Genius (which I ordered from CottonBabies and unfortunately will be taking a little longer to arrive, like 5-10 days. I'm so impatient!). I had already researched a ton on Bum Genius--and have two friends who use and love them--so I felt pretty confident. But then I read Birdee's experience (I actually read her experience on her private blog but I linked to her public blog here) with Gdiapers as well, and her Pros list swayed me. I decided to try both! I'm also thinking of trying out some Knickerknappies after hearing about them on Sarah's blog. I kind of like the idea of snaps, as opposed to applix tabs.


Anyway, I'm probably going to do a combination of the biodegradable/throw away liners and the cloth liners. I don't have the time to do a ton of laundry for one thing, and another I'm afraid the cloth liners nonstop might be a little too much for my Mom (who watches Hunter four days a week) and Big D. I want to ease them into CD'ing. So that's my plan!


Today was the first day of CD'ing with gDiapers. I'm curious to see how it goes! I put one on him first thing when he woke up this morning. And then changed him about two hours later. He had peed and it was strictly on the throw away liner. Awesome! Granted, that was not one of his BIG pees so I'm interested to see how the liner handles it. I know we can double up at night, so I might try that tonight to see how it goes.





Anyway, I'll post more as we progress...and of course more pictures. ;-)

Now onto my questions. If any of you out there CD, can you please help me out here?

  • First, when you do a diaper change, do you just change the liner and keep him in the same diaper? Or do you change the entire diaper?
  • How long can he wear one diaper shell before it should be washed...the whole day? Less? More?
  • Do you find that the cloth or throw away liners are more absorbant? I'm wondering which would be best at night. Obviously I'll give them both a try to see how it goes.
  • Is it okay to wash the diaper shells in my regular laundry? I use All-Free and Clear for all our laundry. (I do realize you have to wash the cloth liners separately and that there is a certain way to do it.)
  • I'm sure I had more questions but my brain is blank right now...

9 comments:

BeeOhVee said...

You know, I'm really happy you posted this. I've been curious about these myself.

Not preggers or anything yet, but we're going to start trying very soon.

Flea said...

Omigosh he's just the cutest little thing ever!

I wanted to cloth diaper, but with the first kid we lived in my in-laws' basement. Ten people sharing the washer and dryer was not conducive to CD. Then the second child came less than a year later. SOOOO wasn't going to happen. I only wish I could have. Enjoy!

Erin said...

You go girl! You are a better woman than I am....

Good luck with it!

Sarah R said...

Cute!!! I am so excited to see all of my friends switching to cloth! Awesome!

As far as the liner thing goes, I have only ever done pockets with inserts (BGs last time) so I never got to reuse the cover. I know a lot of mothers who do! I have seen "Flip" diapers as highly recommended if you want to be able to reuse the cover a few times!

Emily Jean said...

I am so proud of you! I had the best intentions to CD but it never happened. I am excited to hear how it goes!

Stephanie said...

You go girl!! You are a braver woman than I am! lol
i cant wait to hear more about it! I have alot of friends that swear by CDing!!
Best of luck to you!!

Krystyn said...

I have absolutely no answers for you. Good luck, though. I have friends that have done it. We can't do it because daycare won't do them.

Lovely Lalo-Cha said...

No help on that topic but I sure hope these CD's are better for Hunter and his skin.

Birdee said...

I typed up a huge reply from my phone and got a phone call and some how lost it all. So now I'm settled on my computer to type away. (sorry so late - and you probably have your own answers now but wanted to reply anwyay)

First, when you do a diaper change, do you just change the liner and keep him in the same diaper? Or do you change the entire diaper?

- it depends on a couple things, 1- how damp the liner might be. If it's slightly damp, then I'll hang dry it for another use later. If I see it's soiled in any way, I toss it on the hamper. If I'm in a hurry, I'll toss the whole diaper shell and liner over the hamper and just put on a fresh, and if I have time, I change out the insert (and liner if it's soiled) and reuse the shell. I use the shell as long as I can as long as it's not soiled.

How long can he wear one diaper shell before it should be washed...the whole day? Less? More?

-never more than one day, but usually 2-3 or 4 times - again I may throw it over the hamper just to air out, and when I have time I put in a new liner for the next diaper change, so I'm alternating between two diaper shells.

Do you find that the cloth or throw away liners are more absorbant? I'm wondering which would be best at night. Obviously I'll give them both a try to see how it goes.

- I so far havent had leaks with either at night, but I like to put him in cloth as much as possible and use the disposable for out and about use. I do add a BG booster though for night time use.

Is it okay to wash the diaper shells in my regular laundry? I use All-Free and Clear for all our laundry. (I do realize you have to wash the cloth liners separately and that there is a certain way to do it.)

- I actually e-mailed the company with this question and have not got a reply >:-(

I'm sure I had more questions but my brain is blank right now...

Hunter looks absolutely ADORABLE in his cloth diapers! (BTW). =D