Saturday, April 17, 2010

As I sat on the couch listening to the pitiful wails coming through the monitor and feeling utterly frustrated and helpless (becuz boys and girls, we have entered the phase of "I don't want to nap, Mommy and I'm going to scream my eight month old little lungs out every time you try to put me down in this crib") I repeated to myself that I would not go in and take Hunter out to nap on my chest.

I would not give in.

And then it suddenly hit me.

I will never get this moment in time back.

Do I really need to fold laundry or watch some stupid TV show or check my email, instead of comfort my baby boy? Yes, I don't want to create a bad habit of baby cries in crib and Mommy rescues him to snooze on her, but will once in a while really hurt?

I admit, it's happened more than once in a while lately.

But years from now what will I remember? That my son was or wasn't an awesome napper? Will it matter that I squeezed in an extra washing of the dirty dishes over-flowing our kitchen sink?

OR will the moments in time that play over and over through my memories be the snuggly stolen Saturday afternoon with his cheek pressed comfortingly against my chest and his warm fuzzy head tucked under my chin like perfect connecting puzzle pieces, listening to the gentle rise and fall of sweet baby breath?

As I cradle my son in my arms, I realize it.

This is the way I want to live my life and enjoy my family.

These are the moments that really and truly matter.

9 comments:

Amy said...

Will it make him be a bad napper? Maybe, maybe not. If he's sleeping through the night, do you care? Probably not. And even if he's not, if you don't care that you're not "supposed to" let him fall asleep on your chest, who cares?!

Bekah said...

jack is sleeping on my lap right now....i dont ever want to forget the feeling of his little body nestled against mine.

5 Kids With Disabilities said...

Maybe he doesn't need a nap. My middle boy didn't nap after the age of 6 months. I was a "bad" mommy, though. I'd still put him in room with a DVD on for some quiet time. At the age of 18, he still doesn't sleep much! (I guess he was preparing to be a teenager at an early age!)
Lindsey Petersen

Flea said...

:) Enjoy the snuggle time now while you can. You'll miss it soon enough.

My Two Army Brats said...

My four week old is sleeping my arms right now. I know I should put her in her bassinette to nap but she's so darn cuddly and with her being adopted I didn't get to hold her for the past 9 months lol so dang it I get 9 now right?

Robyn said...

I say snuggle. That was my favorite part of the day sometimes.

Krystyn said...

I just had a moment like that last night....Izzy asked me to carry her like a baby. Daddy said "no." I scooped her up. After all, pretty soon, I won't be able to pick her up anymore.

T~T said...

I'm not a big fan of crying it out either! Never was - good for you!
BTW - your son is A-DOR-ABLE
Tiaras

Nishant said...

Enjoy the snuggle time now while you can.
Adsense Alternative