Tuesday, November 23, 2010

We have a name for our Baby Girl!

Daryl and I have chosen/agreed upon what to call this baby, and we're both very happy. I love being able to call the baby in my belly by name, when I talk to her (and it was the same way with Hunter, as well).

Avery Irene C______ (sorry I don't wanna put our last name out into the Internet world LOL)

Avery was the girl's name we had chosen when I was first pregnant with Hunter, before we knew whether the baby was a boy or girl. I remember being at Babies R US and buying two sippy cups...one that said HUNTER and one that said AVERY, so I'd be prepared when we found out. I put away the Avery cup and kinda forgot about it until we were trying to come up with a girl's name we both agreed on. Avery was still at the top of the list but there were a couple other names we were throwing around...and yet, nothing else sounded right for the girl in my belly.

I was cleaning in my bedroom one day and found that AVERY sippy cup and it just clicked. This is our girl, this is her name. And Daryl agreed 100%.

Irene, her middle name, is after my Nana who passed away suddenly when I was thirteen. She was seriously THE BEST GRANDMOTHER EVER and her death was a huge blow to me. Not only was it the first time anyone close to me had passed, and the fact that it was traumatic (she was taken out by ambulance in the middle of my dance recital. No one told me till the end, of course. She passed away early the next morning), but I loved that woman more than words can say. My last memory of her is a great one, eating hot dogs and giggling before we left for my dance recital. Smelling the dozen red roses her and my grandfather had given me. I still have the card she gave me that night, "To our little dancing doll...".

And what better way to acknowledge and honor her, then to name my child after her?

Obviously, I love family names. Hunter's middle name, Richard, is my father's name. I will LOVE being able to tell my children all about these important people in their family, about their namesakes and what they each meant to me.

And Daryl is very happy with our decisions becuz unfortunately he never got to meet my father (nor my grandmother, who coincidentally this is my Dad's mother) and he told me it helps him to connect to that part of my family and to feel close. I tell him all the time how he would have loved them both and they would have LOVED him. He's heard so many stories and now he will get to hear me tell our children about their paternal grandfather and great-grandmother, when they are old enough to understand.

So there you have it, a baby name is born! (Now, just gotta wait for the BABY. Heh heh.)

6 comments:

CanadianMama said...

I love family names too! Avery will be a very lucky girl to be joining your family!!

Sarah R said...

I love it! ♥

Bekah said...

Beautiful!!!

Heidi Renée said...

Perfect!

Kandi said...

I LOVE the name! And I especially love the family middle name. And it was a sign that you bought the sippy cups. <3

~**Dawn**~ said...

I *love* her name, April. =)