Friday, April 15, 2011










Dear Avery,


Sweet baby girl...today you are one month old! I can hardly believe it! You'd think I'd remember how quickly the first month goes by, but it still blows my mind to see how much you are already changing before our very eyes.


You no longer fit into your Newborn sleepers--not becuz of weight but becuz you are so long! You've got Mama's long legs, skinny feet and long toes, for sure. You can still wear Newborn size onesies and pants but it's really only a matter of time before they are just too small. I've started putting you in Size 3 Months so you have a little more room to grow. You are also now into Size 1 diapers, cuz the NB just don't fit anymore. Funny to think when you came home from the hospital, the NB diapers still looked too BIG!


We are exclusively breastfeeding right now and you seem to be growing and thriving! You go anywhere from 1-3 hours in between feedings (at night you now have been going FOUR hours between feedings which makes a sleepy Mommy happy. Go, Big Girl!!). You are having some issues with gas and spitting up lately, unfortunately. Mommy talked to the nurse at the pediatrician's office who said you need to be burped more often becuz most likely what is happening is you are guzzling down the milk TOO FAST (my let-down comes out like a fire hose which doesn't help!) and Mom can actually hear you gulping loudly which means you are taking in some air with your meals. That means the air is getting trapped UNDER more breast milk and it has to come out, which is why you are spitting up so often. So now I burp you every minute or so into the feeding and boy, oh boy, are you a mad girl when I take you away before you are done! My little strong-willed, and hungry, girl!


You also are napping well through out the day, either in your pack-n-play (although not so much when you have gas), reclined on your boppy on the couch beside Mommy or on my chest! You love to be carried around in the Baby Bjorn carrier and often times snooze in it. Mommy did manage to take a shower the other day while you napped in your swing for 2 straight hours but so far, that hasn't happened again. You like the swing, but you don't LOVE the swing.


You seem very infatuated with your brother, which makes Mommy and Daddy happy. We hope you two get along and are close siblings! Hunter LOVES his sissy and constantly wants to hold your hand (he especially likes it--and laughs--when you flail your little arms and accidentally whack him in the cheek!) or if you cry, he makes sure to kiss the top of your head or your cheek to soothe you. One day this past week you were crying SO hard from the gas, and Mommy just couldn't seem to console you so she sat you up next to Hunter and rested your cheek against his (which made him smile as he sat so still!) and you instantly quieted down! Awwww, Brother! It was enough to almost make your Mommy cry. Mom DOES have to watch him carefully cuz occasionally he's tried to grab and move the boppy while you are on it OR he's tried to pick you up when we were all laying on the floor.


Avery, your little cheeks are filling out, and your double chin, and Mommy just can't stop kissing you all day! I definitely wouldn't call you a chubby baby--yet--but I bet it's only a matter of time before your rolls start filling out.


You are also starting to make those adorable "Gah!" sounds and Mommy is pretty sure you even gave your first REAL (non-gas) smile last night! Daddy was holding you while M0mmy took a MUCH needed shower. When I came out and over to you, I bent down and smiled and started talking and you immediately smiled in return. It was brief, but adorable! I can't wait to see more of those little smiles.


Avery, life as we know it has changed with you in it. You've brought more joy in this one month than i thought was even possible. I can't bear to be away from you for very long or I literally start to ache. You complete our family in a way I never even dreamed of, our final piece of the puzzle. I am so looking forward to watching you grow and learn and play and LOVE.


Thank you, my baby girl, for blessing me with the daughter I always wanted, and a sibling for my son. And for creating that even softer side of your Daddy that is especially visible as he gazes down at his little girl.


We LOVE YOU.

xoxoxoxox,

Daddy, Mommy and Hunter

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Aw. You always write the sweetest posts about your kiddos.

Morgan Owens said...

"like a fire hose"..you crack me up lady!!

Avery is so cute April, I just want to snuggle with her! :) I love the pic of her by the dog..she looks SO tiny compared to the fur kid!

Megan said...

Happy 1 month day Avery! Thanks for the bloggy hug- it is much harder as a mama of 2! Glad you are getting sleep...each night I cross my fingers. :-)

Bekah said...

Such a beauty! I had the same problem with Jack and breastfeeding! I found that block feeding on each side helped him!