Saturday, November 26, 2011

We had a great Thanksgiving this year! (warning, picture heavy post to follow!)


The four of us stayed home and no one came over, so it was very low-key and relaxed. I did some cleaning up of the house in preparation for our Christmas tree, while cooking here and there.  Avery enjoyed her 1st Thanksgiving as we all stayed in our pj's and played! Daddy and Aves even scored a couple mini naps together. Hunter was in his glory playing ALL DAY LONG.

And Aves ate turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, cranberry sauce, a bit of roll...and then for dessert she shared some pumpkin pie with whipped cream with me!

Yesterday, Black Friday, I did something a little different...I didn't go out shopping! While I did miss my Black Friday coupons and deals (Mom and I go to breakfast wicked early every year, then follow it up with some hard-core shopping) what I DID enjoy was lounging on the couch, sipping my coffee, and watching my kids (especially Hunter) watch Snow White for the first time. At certain points he was SO intent on the movie and it totally warmed my heart to see him enjoying one of my favorite Disney movies!  And I will admit, I did a TINY bit of online shopping at the Carter's website for the babes. Got Hunter a shirt for Christmas eve, and Aves a sweater to go over her Christmas Eve dress...plus two pairs of footed jammies each and two long sleeved onesies for baby girl!

Later in the day, my MIL and step-FIL arrived in CT and joined us on our search for the perfect Christmas tree! This started last year and I think it's a new tradition we've created, with them helping us on the hunt. 



This year our tree-search was a little bit more complicated than usual.



First of all, we wanted a bigger (ie: taller) tree now that we had the space and high ceilings. And it was not easy to find a bigger tree that wasn't scraggly.  Secondly, our favorite tree farm (Daryl and I have probably gone to this farm the past five years now) just replanted like 1600 new baby trees that take approximately 6-7 years to reach full maturity before they can be sold. So.....that means there was not a lot of decent trees left.

Obviously, that didn't stop Hunter from running around like a crazy, wild man.




I'm a pretty picky person when it comes to picking the PERFECT tree. It has to be full (it can only have one side that has a "bald" spot, cuz that's the side that faces the wall) and it has to be a perfect cone shape. And of course, a pretty dark green with no dead needles! This year was VERY HARD to find that perfect tree but after well over an hour at the farm, I'm happy to say we found it!!

And Hunter had an absolute blast helping me decorate it!  He was hilarious, hanging all the ornaments on the same branch.  Daryl's grandparents and cousin joined us for pizza dinner, which was fun! 


The tree is super prickly (fresh!) so I had to wear Daryl's dead-sexy gloves. Heh heh.



Our mantle, looking a tad naked without our stockings yet!

The finished product!

Today, it's all about cleaning for my Miche Bag party at four.  My MIL is now a Miche consultant and I am in LOVE with these chic, awesome handbags!  You buy the "base" bag in your size of choice and then you buy separately any "shell" of your choice, so you can literally change the style/look of your purse every single day (to match your mood, season, outfit, whatever!). Coolest invention ever. Heh heh.

Anyway, for now, it's still early (my kids wake up every single day between 4:30-5:00am, ugh!) so Hunter is cuddled up against me watching Mickey Mouse and Avery is asleep on my chest. Aaaaahhhh...a blissful holiday weekend, for sure.

3 comments:

The Captain's Wife said...

sorry Can't make it to your party, we have family pics at noon and then our "friends" thanksgiving with another couple and their kids at 5:30. We're dinkng like real pilgrims....lobster!

Your tree is beautiful! We went to a fake tree when we bought our house. I found that by xmas my real one was dead as a door nail and I, like you, am a day after thanksgiving type girl.

K sleeps great normally, however I was awoken at 4am this morning to a very upset little girl who lost her nanight (blankie) in her sleep. luckily she was ok once momma found it, but then my pregnancy insomnia kicked in :(

fyi-I renewed my membership to the local museums again this year. Lets plan another day to take the kids!

Kat said...

Sounds like a lovely Thanksgiving! I love all the pictures too. What a beautiful tree farm!! So fun! :)

CanadianMama said...

Oh, those gloves are super sexy!!! And the kids wake up between 4:30 and 5:0!?! That should totally be illegal!!!!!!!!