Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Turning MY unexpected lemon into lemonade

Life often throws some unexpected "gifts" at you.

 I say "gifts" with a tad bit of sarcasm.

Last Thursday morning my boss informed me she had to issue me (and the other office woman) a temporary pink slip.  Due to unforeseen circumstances for my boss, we were told we could be out of work anywhere from one week to one MONTH (and hopefully no longer than that)!

While I sort of knew this was coming, it was still a shock for it to actually HAPPEN.

Big D and I have absolutely NO financial cushion to fall back on in a time such as this. As a mater of fact, we had just been talking about really getting on the ball and starting up a savings account for emergencies.  Great timing, eh?

We won't starve obviously, but things are definitely going to be tight. When you really come to rely on BOTH incomes, losing one (even if it's a part time income) is a huge slap in the face. 

So, no unnecessary spending this month, no splurges, no treats for the kids, no random Joann's or Michaels' runs for me, or thrifting at Goodwill.

I've been wanting to get into couponing for a while now but was just never motivated enough (nor did I know where to begin). Well this has been a kick in the pants so I think it's time to get started. I've been checking out coupon sites and other bloggers who make a habit of getting crazy deals on a weekly basis.

Also, since last Friday, I've been an absolute cleaning MACHINE. Between being a full-time Mommy and part-time worker, I admit to letting the house work slide sometimes. Not becuz I didn't want to do it, just becuz there never seemed to be enough TIME to do it all. Laundry had piled up to the extreme and we couldn't see the bathroom floor anymore in front of the washer, and half the couch was completely swamped with clean laundry waiting to be folded.

Did you think I was kidding? Check out the floor behind Aves, and the clean stuff on top of the washer. *SIGH*

Tucker has been shedding like a bear so doggie-dust bunnies were rolling all over the house.  There was piles of clutter EVERYWHERE stressing me out on a daily basis.

So.....starting last Friday I've been on a mission...get this house really CLEAN and ORGANIZED.  And I'm happy to say, I'm making great progress! Even though being unemployed right now sucks from a financial aspect, it is awesome to be able to have ample time to get this messy house in order!

Also, I ran to Walmart on Sunday and bought a 10-pack of new undies for Hunter, to go along with the 6 pair we already have. I think I'm finally ready to get serious about potty-training! I still haven't fully decided if we will be signing Hunter up for preschool for this August (when he turns 3) but if we DO, he needs to be potty trained. And now we have 16 pairs of cute little boy undies to get us started.

Good lord, my baby boy is getting so big!

Anyway, I'm also excited to get to spend some fun quality time with the kiddos. While we can't spend extra moola to KidCity (really cool local kids museum) like I've been dying to do, what we CAN do is play outside (weather permitting...so far it's been CRAPPY) or do some fun crafty projects inside...and I have a free family four pass to the Beardsley Zoo that we got for Christmas, so I'm looking forward to bringing them to the zoo one day soon!   And conveniently, Daryl was given a free four pack of tix to a Red Sox game coming up at the end of the month so we've already asked another couple to go with us for a fun (and MUCH needed) date night out! Those are almost non-existent for us with Daryls' schedule and now with lack of funds!

I'm going to do what I can to make the best of an otherwise crappy situation!

5 comments:

The Captain's Wife said...

woman!!! call me! i am on leave until the 1st week of july!

the cubicle's backporch said...

Argh! I was just telling MrC this the other day... just when we get to a point where we're getting ready to start putting big money into savings, something happens. Right now, 2 of our vehicles are having issues. Luckily we have back-ups but they are gas-hog back-ups so we need to get them fixed ASAP!

Also, on couponing... I love it! BUT, it takes SO. MUCH. TIME!! I use krazycouponlady.com which is pretty freaking amazing but it still takes a lot of time to organize your coupons every week. I like to have my coupons organized by brand so if I'm walking through the store and see a great deal, I can flip right to the coupon. I have a couple of my coupon hauls on http://www.jandjacres.com/farmblog . You'll have to post how it goes!

April said...

K-you bet your pregnant ass I will! LOL I've got a couple of things going on this week, but do you wanna get together next week? I'll email you on FB!

CB-long time no see! Thanks for the tip on the coupon lady. I'm gonna check out her site. how the heck are you????? :-) Going to catch up on your blog now!!!

Kat said...

Way to stay positive! It definitely sounds like you are getting it done! :)

CanadianMama said...

I started couponing after my first kid because I was making way less money on mat leave but had way more expenses. It's pretty easy now and doesn't take up as much time as it did when I first started. I save us so much money now too!

Sorry about the job BUT, you are so positive about it all that I'm totally inspired!!