Sunday, August 12, 2012

Hunter's Pirate Parrrrrrrrty....Shiver me timbers!

Warning! This is going to be a looooooooooong
picture-heavy post!
So fasten your seat belts and let's go....

Months and months (and months!) ago I gave Hunter an option (two of his favorite things) for a theme for his 3rd birthday party. Pirates or Firemen? Without skipping a beat, my huge fan of Jake and the Neverland Pirates shouted out "Pirates, Mama!"

I did a LOT of planning for this party.  I made as many decorations as I could, which includes decorating the goody bags, making the cupcake toppers, the birthday banner and some paper decorations to add to the fun.  I hit up dollar stores and discount stores, online shopping and I used coupons at the craft store to get all the supplies that I needed.

And it has been a process of creating stuff over the past few months in any spare time I could muster (after the kids were in bed)...cutting, gluing, sticking, poking! For a bit, I was feeling sad becuz the weather forecast was NOT promising. My fun outdoor activities (walking the plank, digging for pirate treasure in sand) had to be scrapped. So the night before, I made the executive decision to set up inside and I'm SO thankful I did. At one point, before the party began, there were torrential downpours and wind. And even though the sun was in and out all afternoon, everything was soaked outside and the humidity made it SO steamy. We were nice and cool indoors in the a/c. A little cramped, bu happy!

And I'm pleased to say the pay-out was WELL worth it. I only wish I had gotten a picture of Hunter's face yesterday morning when he came down the stairs and SAW all the decorations Mommy had set up the night before...his expression was like Christmas morning!

So without further adieu, welcome to Hunter's Pirate Parrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty! (I'm sharing ALL the details so if you don't care about the decorations, just scroll down to see the little pirates and the birthday boy.)

Welcome to Hunter's Pirate Parrrrrty! X marks the spot!




The birthday banner I made, although I ended up moving it from the mantle and putting it elsewhere.

I scattered gold doubloons and jewels everywhere!

The pirate face sitting on our wood stove is the pinata. I still buy the pull-string kind just becuz a
majority of the  kids are still little.

One of my coupon-purchases from Michael's (craft store) using my coupon. They literally were setting up
 their Halloween stuff as I was shopping that day. Halloween decorations? In late July???


Some of the birthday decorations I made, using my Cricut.
I was especially proud of the goody bags! I bought brown bags from the craft store, then embellished with skull and crossbones cut-outs made with my cricut. I glued them on, and then tied on a skull and crossbones ribbon (from Michael's) attaching a red tag that I wrote the kids name on. Then I filled the goody bags with pirate-y treasures. Some gold doubloons, a skull and crossbones pencil, a cardboard/paper hat and pirate eye patch that I purchased online from Amazon, a little rubber skeleton, a string of beads (like mardi gras beads) from the dollar store, a glow stick (from the Target $1 bins), pirate stickers from Amazon (they have the same ones though at Oriental Trading company or Birthday Express), and one piece of candy. Didn't go crazy with the candy becuz I knew that they'd get plenty from the pinata!

One of my favorite finds! This "treasure chest" was in the house decorations section at Michael's and retailed normally for like $21.99 or something like that. It was 70% off so I scooped it up for I think, $6.50. And now I have this cool vintage-y looking box to use for whatever I want! To complete the look, sparkly "jewels" from the craft store and more dollar store beads.



Big D, my master cake-decorator! He is in charge of piping on the frosting for all the birthdays. :-)



I tried to add in little pirate-y touches where I could, to tie it all together. These cut-outs were stuck onto lollipop sticks to make "sails" that I stuck in the utensil cups (the tin cups are from the Target $1 bins!).


My delicious Oreo Pirate Pops! They may not look professional, but the kids LOVED them. And they tasted yummy.

This is the same (one of the two) cake stand I made for Avery's 1st birthday party last March!  I just spray painted the (pink) bases now a nice dark red. And the awesome part? They are now the perfect color for Christmas! I will get lots of use out of these inexpensive, easy to make cake stands.

My adorable little pirate stinkers!

The birthday boy!

Argh, mateys!
My silly family! And yes, I made Big D dress in a pirate tee shirt as well. LOL


The sweets table! I tried to keep the food low-key this party (for my own sanity) so we had: cupcakes, brownies, Oreo Pirate Pops, fish and chips (gold fish and potato chips), grapes, watermelon and cherries. And a friend brought her taco dip and tortilla chips. For the kids, I had a beach bucket filled with Capri Suns, and for the adults we had soda and coffee.

The birthday boy's cupcake!

Hunter LOVES this pirate cup I got for him. It is from Birthday Express. He made sure to show it off to everyone.

My cousin's daughter Corrina came in her pirate-y best! Hunter was totally infatuated with the "parrot" (crow! LOL) on Corrina's shoulder so I could not get him to look at the camera for anything.

Even the big kids got in on the fun!

Me and my Big D.

Time to sing!

I'm thinking maybe Hunter thought we all sounded off-key?

Love the card that K (The Captain's Wife's daughter) made for Hunter!


Already fighting over (new) toys. Sheesh.

Pinata time!

Pirate Princess Avery showing off all her "bling" from the treasure chest.


Yes, my husband has a pinata on his head. He is a dork.



Baby snuggles! Awww!

A lucky little boy got an AWESOME gift from his Grammie and Gpa.


Wow! That was seriously such a fun and cute party! Even though some of my friends and family (the non-crafty ones) may think I'm crazy, this kinda thing makes me happy. And like I told Big D, seeing the joy on Hunter's face from how much he enjoyed his Pirate Party? Well to me, that is priceless and worth every single moment I put into it!

7 comments:

Kat said...

Dude!!!! That is the coolest party ever! You are amazing! What lucky kids you have! Those pirate oreo pops are the cutest thing ever and they so DO look professional. You rock!
I bet Hunter had the best birthday ever! Way to go, mama!

stripeycat said...

You know I totally get it...
LOVE IT!
You are my hero! That cricut is going on my xmas list for sure!
happy birthday HUNTER

April said...

Keri, YOU MUST GET A CRICUT!! I wanted one and my fabulous hubby got it for my mother's day gift. I've only just scratched the surface and seriously LOVE it!

Carrie27 said...

This was beyond awesome!!!

So, you want to help me plan the twins' party which is in less than a month?

Flea said...

You did a PHENOMENAL job, Mama! Amazing! Huge kudos to you!!! And the pinata? I'm surprised, after decades of America's Funniest Videos and countless men being whacked in the crotch by little kids, that they're even in existence. :) Looks great on Big D, though.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

What an awesome boy party. I'm terrible at themes! You did great.

The oreo pops! Fabulous!

The Misses said...

Can NOT believe that little sweet Baby Boy is 3. Gosh time flies doesn't it. So cute loved seeing all the pictures. Little Miss Avery is just a doll.