Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Big change on the horizon....

Things are a-changing!!

I am simultaneously excited and freaked out.

After some serious convos with the hubby, and some soul-searching, we came to a decision this weekend.

I am quitting my job!

EEK!

We knew something had to give.

1.  My mom (who watches the kids) is just getting more and more overwhelmed, over-run with doctor appointments and not willing to watch the kids any more than she did already so I could never cover for the other girl in the office (despite the fact that she covered ME whenever I couldn't come in). My mom has quite a few illnesses (the biggie being her Systemic Lupus) and she gets tired out pretty easily and really, I didn't want to burden her anymore. She's been my "daycare provider" since Hunter was about six months, and Avery about six weeks, so for approximately 4 1/2 years now.  I am overwhelmed with gratitude that she did this for us becuz we never would have been able to afford childcare for two children.

2.  I work part time four days a week.  Not a big deal, if the job was local, but I am driving one hour commute each way for those four days. That hour ride includes driving from home to Mom's house, then to work for me. I feel like I am constantly IN A CAR.  And the mileage we put on the car? Doesn't make my hubby happy, that is for sure. And gas money spent driving that 60 miles each way....let's just say it SUCKS.

3.  School. This is a biggie. Right now Hunter is in preschool Monday/Wednesday/Friday mornings. I'm off Fridays anyway so that's cool, but my friend offered to bring him on Mondays and Wednesdays becuz she knew otherwise, I never would have been able to enroll him. And he needed it. Hunter (and Avery) had never been in any kind of school or daycare setting, and he also had been a little stubborn when I was trying to teach him things myself. I was starting to worry he would never be ready for kindergarten when the time came. But in preschool? He is FLOURISHING, doing way better than I ever anticipated.

But the downside is that my poor sweet friend is coming to my house, on those two mornings, at 7am (when I leave for work on my early days) and then bringing him to class from 9:00-11:30, then picking him up and watching him until approx. 2pm when I get home. For FREE. I know she is a great friend and doing it out of the kindness of her heart but it makes me feel guilty on a daily basis. She has her own life and kids to attend to and I don't ever want her to feel like I'm taking advantage of her!

4.  School AGAIN.  Hunter will be starting kindergarten this coming August/September. I have no idea yet  if he will be half day or full day. I guess our town has some type of lottery system to see which kids get full day. So I literally wont' know till right before school starts. I had already told my boss come the summertime I was going to have to get a new job becuz I'd never be able to make it work getting him on/off bus (or to school...not sure yet if he will be a bus-rider) around my work schedule. The more I thought about it and talked about it with hubby, who originally wanted me to get another job, I came to the realization that this was not going to be easy! We can't afford daycare (unless of course I was working full time) so it really left us NO other option.

I'm not going to lie. We're both a little freaked a bit.  But I KNOW we can make it work. It's just going to take some time and consideration and a bit more budgeting. And I'm hopeful I'll have more time to make my bow business more successful. Time to really put myself out there!

And the perk, of course? More time to be there for my children. I'm most excited for this opportunity becuz I never in a million years thought it would be an option for us! I'm also looking forward to some one-on-one time with little Miss Aves while her brother is in school. She turns three in March and I can't BELIEVE how fast time has flown with her. I want to hold on and cherish a little bit more of her "babyhood" before she is a big girl!


So for you  SAHMs, tell me, what is your most favorite money-saving or budgeting tips? What works best for your family?  I would love to hear some feedback!

1 comment:

Amy Newman said...

Just now seeing this cuz I'm way behind on blog reading. So let's see, don't know what you already do, but, we only eat out once a week, and 90% of the time it is take-out and I just cook something for the girls at home. I buy Groupons for any places we already love and places we'd like to try. I only get fancy coffees like once a month when I meet a friend. I stock up at Costco on stuff we eat a lot and buy discount bin items. That kind of boring stuff. We actually could save more if we got rid of DirecTV, but we need it so hubby can get the NFL package.

I've been doing some freelance writing, and so far it's been enough to cover all the stuff that seems to be breaking in the house. So it comes to a wash, but that's okay. Hopefully you can do the same with the boys!